Sunday, March 16, 2014

Why Corny Pick-up Lines Work

James Marsters as Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer


The first thing to know when if comes to pick up/chat up lines is, words don't matter; delivery matters. To be more specific, the deliverer matters! I mean, if James Masters said, "You're the only treat I want in my sack this Halloween, would you slap him, or  . . . ?








What about "You can be Little Red Riding Hood and I’ll be the Big Bad Wolf?"


Maybe not, unless it was Taylor Lautner speaking.














The there's always Edward.






" . . . Pardon me Miss. I…uhh..hello? Dang it! She fainted again. Why can’t I stop dazzling people?"























How about Superman? Would he have to say much?


Maybe just a look would do, or some reference to Kryptonite, or heat vision, if he were Brandon Routh.










My favorite delivery is from Will Smith.  "Yo, yo, yo, baby! How about some fries to go with that shake?" Utterly corny, I know, but when Will says it, we laugh, and it works!




What are some of your favorite hook/pick/chat-up lines from books or movies, or real life? What’s worked for you? Supernatural authors? Care to share some of your gems?


 Kim Falconer is a Supernatural Underground author writing paranormal romance, urban fantasy, YA and epic science fantasy novels.

You can find out more about Kim at kimfalconer.com or on the 11th House Blog. She posts here at the Supernatural Underground on the 16th of every month. Her latest release is"Blood and Water" in Supernatural Underground: Vampires Gone Wild.

2 comments:

Ash Wolf said...

My brother once tried (on a dare from his friends) to use Brad Paisley's "Ticks" line on a girl. They were at a bar. He went up to her and said "I'd like to check you for ticks." She slapped him. When he asked if she had ever heard that song, she got embarrassed and said that she thought he said "I want to check out your tits."

I had one guy ask me if I knew what pirate loot was called. I answered, "Yes, Booty." He grinned and said, "Yep, and you have a nice one too." I was not impressed.

Kim Falconer said...

LOL Good ones, Ash Wolf. Thank you!

How easy is it to misunderstand words when in a crowded bar of pub? It can get a little crazy!