![]() |
| Art by Omven on DeviantArt |
Hope you enjoy!
You can find Karina Cooper on Goodreads!
* * *
Friday, August 26, 2011
Come on, you've seen us. We're all very lovely people, us authors. We smile at the cameras, sign books, hug fans, and so on. Surely, making an author mad must be akin to swatting at a dust bunny, right? I mean, what are we going to do? Cry into our keyboards?
I mean, can't you just see the gorgeous Vicki Petersson cackling
with glee as she comes up with creative ways to use a coin slot machine
and a pair of dice to off somebody . . .
. . . let's not discount Merrie Destefano, who knows all the
good places in New Orleans to hide a body, or Joss Ware, who knows
seventeen ways to dismember a man beyond recognition. Juliana Stone
knows what kind of wounds look like animal attacks—"I have no idea,
officer, it looks like a jaguar attack to me."—and Pamela Palmer who is an engineer, and you know how devilishly clever engineers are. I wouldn't mess with her with a twenty-foot pole and a getaway driver on speed dial.
Ahhh, authors. So innocent, and yet...
Mwahaha. . .
Well. Sort of.
See, yesterday I found myself in the middle of a task
that I do actually need for this current run of books I'm plotting. And
as I scrolled through pages and pages of data, I thought to myself, Karina, it's a damn good thing your profession is what it is.
Because how else am I to explain why my internet history is full of information on modern day torture techniques?
That's right. Let's talk about reason number one: We know how make you scream.
We've researched it down to the last details—certainly not for
ourselves, oh, no, but what out characters know, we know. And if we're
carrying around a character who is an inquisitor, or a character who was
tortured, or worse, we know.
Would we use it? Oh, of course not, officer! We'd never use this information for evil. We're entertainers, not in the business of making the things we know actually happen. Right?
Heh. Heh heh. Right.
Reason number two to avoid making us angry? We know how to hide the body.
We've thoroughly researched it. Currents, erosion, garbage truck route
details, you name it, we know it. We're a little obsessive when it comes
to details, you might have noticed. After all, how else can we
guarantee that the extra we offed in chapter 4 doesn't come to light
until chapter 15?
The devil is, in fact, in the details....
* Note: This post is entirely tongue-in-cheek and not actually a
commentary on the likelihood of authors to commit heinous crimes
against real, living people. This is a joke. A post devoted to the
rather hilarious fact that we tend to research the most horrible things
in our bid to get it right.
Murder is bad, mmkay?
Enjoy!
* * *
Speculative Fiction (Fantasy/Thriller/Sci-Fi/Urban Fantasy) for adults and teens.
We're a group of best-selling authors providing news, reviews and interviews from the darker, more speculative side of fiction.
Fiction that makes the heart beat faster...

No comments:
Post a Comment