Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sharing a Release Day

My fifth book (Darkest Mercy) comes out in just over two weeks, and I’d like to take this time to talk about what happens at release.

Part of the release process is a calm, graceful* approach to the day when cherubs will appear outside your window, singing of the beauty that is release day. If you take off your glasses, squint a little, and only look at them before the morning tea or coffee, these are beautiful creatures. They each hold a copy of your book. Later in the day, they will deliver this book to a special person who will send you truffles and orchids because it is the book they’ve waited for their whole lives.

This kind of experience is so overwhelming that you need trusted friends to help you cope with the tears of joy. More importantly, you need them in the weeks prior to release.

--big dose of reality--

Release day? Scary. The weeks before release? Mood-swinging madness. This is the time when you call your trusted friends and say “OMG, what if [insert crisis here] and then my entire career will END?” If your friend is not on release too, s/he will say, “No, that won’t happen. Take your head out of the microwave** and calm down.” If s/he is on release, the reply sounds more like, “I know! We are both so CENSOR.”

Yes, my regular critique partner is sharing a release day with me. Oh, and she’s in revisions, and I’m finishing a book right now. We’re both on post-holiday diets.

--pauses--

So really, what I’m saying is that it’s probably best to pretend you don’t see us if we happen to cross your path any time this month. Avoid eye contact. Back away slowly. Don’t be afraid to hide your microwave behind a tower of cookies and cakes if we are visiting you.

On the other hand, if you feel inclined to watch the crazy up close, here’s where I’ll be and where J will be.

Luckily, we aren't in the same places as we share release . . .


--
* And by “graceful,” I mean complete mood-swingy crazy fits.
** I am watching SUPERNATURAL with my son and the episode where the guy microwaves his head? Scarred me.


Book Trailer:




Find me online:
Website
• Twitter
• Fan Page
• Mobile

4 comments:

Sharon S. said...

I am glad you have someone to go to that dark, dark place with you . Now you need to find an author that doesn't have a release coming and cling to her for dear life. You have a very loyal following and they are going to be so excited and happy with the book and you :) Good luck and find a happy place (sometimes wine helps).

Terri Garey said...

Both of you--back AWAY from the microwaves, you silly geese! (The cherubs don't like modern technology.)

What a time to cut out chocolate! :)

The world will love your book, as well as Jeaniene's. I, for one, can't wait!

Brenda Hyde said...

I REALLY hope that you, Jeaniene and Ilona never have a release the same day. I'm afraid there might be violence or projectile vomiting. *snort* Oh, and dang you for breaking my illusion of the release day cherubs.*sniff sniff*

You know your book is going to rock-- seriously ROCK.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for your book Darkest Mercy! February 22nd can't get here fast enough. I have preordered both yours and Jeaniene's book.