Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Layers of Men... Or, Men are Like Onions

**UPDATE*** Congrats to Nymfaux for winning a signed cover flat of Ascenion. You can contact me at Sablegrace@ymail.com to claim it!

Happy Wednesday Undergrounders!

Heather half of Sable Grace here with a topic I've been thinking about alot lately as I read through my Rita entries and get to judging. As I look over the covers of the yummy men and read through the pages describing them, I can't help but wonder about the men of Hollywood and who would fit our books!
We all know the men who'd make great cover models out there, and I'm not really going to waste much time on them. Johnny Depp, Matthew McConaughey, Mel Gibs-- wait, that was 15 years ago. Sorry. But what about the men who deserve to be heroes and won't be simply because they don't fit the stereotype?
In my head, I like to think they stick the gorgeous young, buff guy on the cover, then bait and switch with the personalities that are so sexy, it would be unfair to give them to the visually stunning!

So here's my collection of men who you'd find within the pages of any good novel, but will likely never see on a cover:


Liam Neeson - Chiseled, indescribable looks. Plays kick-ss heroes in the movies and you could find him on the page of most best sellers. The problem? He's a little TOO indescribable. A little too rough? I'm not sure I know the answer to this one!


A personal favorite, Ricky Gervais. Like him or hate him, you've read his personality in a book a time or two. If not as the hero than as the wise-cracking sidekick. He's brutally honest ("I like a drink as much as the next man--unless that next man is Mel Gibson"), he's smart, he's got that dry British humor that I adore. But I'm never going to see him on the cover of a novel unless it's his memoirs. Why? Because he's kind of short and kind of chubby. Still, I can't help but crush on him a little.











Colin Firth. Granted, he could very well pose for the cover of a Regency set romance. But on the cover of an Underground author? Not a chance! He's charming, adorable, witty and smart. Definitely hero material. But is he the man you picture kicking ass? Not so much. Will you find him written as the hero, a secret tribute, inside the author's work? Very likely!


Another one who comes to mind (thank you, Laura) is Jake Weber of TV's Medium. He plays Allison's husband, Joe DuBois. Quiet, supportive, nearly perfect husband. I adore his character so much, I've (and a few of my friends have as well) developed a serious crush on Jake. But, he has that sensitive quality about him that will keep him off book covers for a long while, even if he was a little kick ass in Dawn of the Dead!

Am I missing any ohs0sexy men who wouldn't make the cover model cut? Or, riddle me this: Are there any handsome men who might make the covers but you'd never see them written on the pages as a hero?

Comment to win a signed cover flat of Ascension!

11 comments:

Readaholics said...

I completely agree with you. We will never see these hunks on the covers, but thank goodness thier character traits coming shining through on paper. Terrific post!
See ya,
Dana
Readaholics Anonymous

Terri Garey said...

Did you see Ricky Gervais in "The Invention of Lying"? He was in love with a gorgeous woman who wouldn't have him because she "didn't want chubby children with snub noses". Of course, he ended up getting her in the end, chubbiness, snub nose and all! It was really cute.

And Jake Weber as Joe DuBois? Honey, hush!! I did actually semi-use him for the hero in my Nicki Styx books (also named Joe, btw), because he had that quiet, good, "I'll be there for you forever" quality. But the Nick books weren't kickass, so I could get away with it!

Great post, Heather!

Sable Grace - Heather said...

YAY I'm so glad other people get it! The fact that you used Jake Weber, Terri, is fantastic! I think he's incredibly good looking and sexy and sweet and .... on and on and on. I haven't seen the Invention of Lying yet, which is strange because I devour everything Ricky. I will put it on my Netflix queue!

Dana, glad you see these traits in books the way I do! These guys are underrated!

Sharon S. said...

I agree with the Liam vote. I also had a huge crush on John Malkovich when he was in Dangerous Liaisons with Michelle Phifer. And Rutger Hauer (Bladrunner, Lady Hawk).

Sable - Heather said...

UH! Rutger Hauer. YESSSSSSSSSSS!

Sharon S. said...

@Heather, I am afraid to show you what he is doing now . His next movie is....."Hobo With a Gun"

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17485

nymfaux said...

say...do you have a thing for accents??? ;)

I agree 100% with your picks--and your pics :) but I totally have a love/hate thing with Joe Dubois--he's amazing and supportive, and I love their chemistry, but I got so annoyed that after how many years of marriage, every night when Allison woke him up, his first reaction is "it's just a dream, go back to bed." but that's my only complaint ;)

I'm totally going through a Buffy: The Vampire Slayer phase right now, and I am completely in love with Giles (Anthony Head)--the accent, the way he's always fiddling with his glasses--
glasses on=goofy/shy Clark Kent
glasses off=thoughtful repose/ready to spring into action Superman.

Oh and Billy Gardell from Mike and Molly--his sense of humor and the way he loves Molly, and that slight glint of devilishness in his eyes...

...and speaking of devilish glints...William Shatner and James Spader from Boston Legal--two characters that just oozed charm, and just LOVED women...Alan Alda's Hawkeye on M*A*S*H and "Doc" from Love Boat had something of the same thing...

ok, I'm stopping now...GREAT POST!!!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say Liam Neeson is my fav on that list. :)

Sable- Heather said...

Wow, Nym, Totally didn't notice that every man i put up there has an accent!!! I GUESS I DO!!

And yes, I agree with you about Joe DuBois. That irritates me a bit as well.

nymfaux said...

OMG!!!! I can't believe I won!--Thanks so much!!! :) :)

nymfaux said...

p.s @Sable just wanted to check you got my email, since I didn't get a reply from you--So in case I sent it wrong, my email is:

nymfauxx [at] gmail [dot] com


Thanks again!!! Super Awesome post!!!! (and prize!!!) :)