Saturday, May 14, 2011

Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction: Of Rock Stars and Romance

**WINNER ALERT** Congratulations to Casey H., who won an e-ARC of DEVIL WITHOUT A CAUSE! Thanks to everyone who left comments, and hope you enjoy the read, Casey!

My newest novel, DEVIL WITHOUT A CAUSE, hits the stores in just over two weeks, and today I thought I'd give you a little background on just how this story came to be. (Let me warn you, you're going to think I made it up, because the truth is definitely stranger than fiction!)



Back in 2007, the first book in my Nicki Styx series, DEAD GIRLS ARE EASY was released. The basic premise of that story was this: a so-called "goth girl" has a near-death experience, and comes back from the other side with the ability to see and hear the dead. (It was a bit of a take on the "be careful what you wish for" idea, in that someone who was drawn to the dark side ended up with lot more darkness in her life than she ever expected.)

Fast forward two years and two books later, when I was helping my husband set up a website for his business (I used to be a computer techie before I was a writer). I was coordinating things with the web designer, and just happened to include my official "author signature" in one of my emails, which showed my own website address. He clicked on it, visited my website and said, "Hey, I didn't know you liked that dark stuff, but since you do, here's a link to a cool band I think you'll really like." Hence, I was introduced to the goth n' roll artistry of gold-record selling Finnish band, The 69 Eyes, also known as the Helsinki Vampires. Do yourself a favor, and check out their video for a song called "Perfect Skin" for a taste of their particular brand of dark deliciousness:



Anyway, I was hooked, and casually ended up "friending" the band on MySpace.

To my surprise, I got a personal response to that friend request, from none other than lead singer, Jyrki Linnankivi, also known as Jyrki69. He told me that the band was working on a new album, and that one of the songs had been inspired by one of my books! I'll be quite honest with you - my initial response was a bit skeptical, both that a hot lead singer of a rock n' roll band would email me personally, or that he'd ever even heard of my books. :) But, in true "stranger than fiction" fashion, Jyrki kept in touch, although he kept secret which book he was referring to (Helsinki vampires are nothing if not mysterious). Then, in the summer of 2009, their new album was released, featuring a lead single entitled "Dead Girls Are Easy", the video of which debuted on, of all things, Playboy.com . I'll warn you, it's a bit racier than the book , but you can watch the video and hear the song here:



Later that year, a dream came true when I got to meet the band in person when they toured in the US. Here's a pic of Jyrki and me, after each member of the band signed a copy of my book (do I look happy or what? ) Story and more pics here.

Anyway, I decided to return the artistic favor. The band's medium is music, but mine is writing. I'd been toying with the idea for a new series featuring a diabolically handsome character of Sammy Divine, who'd was a recurring character from appeared in my first (Nicki Styx) series. Sammy's the Devil, you see, and there's a long-time legend about extremely talented musicians who GOT that talent by making a deal with the Devil. Enter the character of Finn Payne, the rock n' roll bad boy who sold his soul for rock n' roll, and now wants it back. Throw in a young single mother with a very sick child who makes her own deal with the Devil, and you've got DEVIL WITHOUT A CAUSE, which releases May 31st, 2011.

Art inspires art, hot guys inspire more hot guys, and so on, and so on. :) C'mon now... who could make up a story like that??

Leave me a comment to tell me what inspires YOU, and you'll be entered into a drawing to get an Advance Reader Copy of DEVIL WITHOUT A CAUSE. Yep, you can get an early look at what happens when art inspires art!

Sorry I can't throw in a hot rock star in real life, but after all, what are the odds of that happening? :p

18 comments:

Teresa said...

I love this series. Once you start to read any of them it is hard to put down until finished. Thanks for the series.

Angelwolfstorm said...

As a photographer whenever I go outside pretty much everything I see inpires me lol! I love your books!!!

ThatBrunette said...

I think it is great that you have been able to join worlds together. It's like when the Love Boat would visit Fantasy Island. Your books should be able to reference and inspire other realms. What's next, Dead Girls the musical? The 69 Eyes can write the them when you get your TV/Movie deal.

Jennifer Naylor said...

I have no doubt that this is the truth! Everything truly does happen for a reason and you hearing the band and being an inspiration to them is an amazing example! I love Nicki and truly miss her but can't wait to read more about Sammy! Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

Love your books!! They help keep me sane.

Terri Garey said...

Thanks, guys! I forgot to add a postscript to the story... The 69 Eyes have a song called "Devils", which I got permission to use as part of my book trailer (which is still in the works). It fits the story PERFECTLY!

Underneath all that hair and leather, they're truly a great bunch of guys. :)

Jaime Rush said...

Great story, Terri! Your series rocks, and I can't wait to read about the devil :) Wonderfully dark rock and roll, too.

Unknown said...

The band looks awesome and your series looks like it's right up my alley:)

Thanks for the backstory on your books.

Heather Powers
www.earthsbooknook.blogspot.com
earthsbooknook at gmail dot com

RFTC Blog said...

Great post. Books and music inspire me.

This book looks really good and I can't wait to read it.

iqb99@yahoo.com

Casey H said...

Music inspires me too! Especially those hot rockstars ;)

Can't wait to read Devil Without a Cause!!

c4casey(at)comcast(dot)net

Rain Maiden said...

Wow! That is an awesome inspiration. I live in a small town, and don't have a very exciting life. That must be why I live my adventures through books. Nature is a big inspiration for me.

Jnmt3@hotmail.com

Helen Lowe said...

Fabulous truth-is-stranger-than-fiction tale, Terri: I love it!

I listen a lot to music while in writing mode, plus lookng at art books, especially around armor, weapons & historical motifs, plus getting out into nature--either my garden, which is very woodlandy, or up into the hills.

HayleyAG said...

I don't if this sounds cheesy, but I'm inspired by first time authors who are able to get their first book published. I tell myself if they can do it, so can I!

nymfaux said...

WOW!!!---Just watch the videos...and now I have something else to drool over besides the thought of your upcoming book :D

So many things inspire me--the characters in my favorite books, or my favorite authors--knowing they're doing the things they love to do most--I get really inspired when I see normal people accomplishing their goals or trying new things, following their dreams--because it makes my dreams feel closer and doable...I try to take inspiration wherever I can find it ;)

Terri Garey said...

Music always inspires me - when I'm sad it makes me happy, when I'm tired it gives me energy, and when I'm feeling romantic... well, it doesn't hurt. :)

Hayley and Nymfaux, all of the authors here in the Underground were one-time ASPIRING authors, and living proof that if you want something bad enough and work to achieve it, you can DO it!

Terri Garey said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'll be announcing the winner of the e-ARC this evening (Sunday), so be sure to check back later!

nymfaux said...

@Terri--it's so "inspiring" ;) to hear you say that!!! --And also one of the big reasons that I follow this blog!!! :D

Unknown said...

The cover of this book inspires me *YUM*...how can I get one of him..so I can be inspired in all the time *blush*