Thursday, July 7, 2011

Burn, Baby, Burn

[REVISED: The winner of the Burn the Night contest is: Heatwave16. Please contact me at Jocelynn DOT drake AT gmail DOT com so you can collect your prize]


The roof the roof the roof is on fire
We don't need no water let the **** burn
~"The Roof Is On Fire" -- Bloodhound Gang

This fire is out of control,
I'm gonna burn this city,
Burn this city...
~"This Fire" -- Franz Ferdinand

Something inside of me
Has opened up its eyes
Why did you put it there?
Did you not realize
Something inside of me
It screams the loudest sound
Sometimes I think I could
I'm gonna burn this whole world down
~"Burn" -- Nine Inch Nails

The final book in the Dark Days series, Burn the Night, has finally hit the shelves. Mira and I are ready to sit back with a Martguerita (a Bloody Mary in her case) and watch the world burn. Mira and Danaus have risked their necks on a number occasions during the past several years to satisfy my curiosity and now they are ready to kick back in a well-deserved retirement.

When I started writing so many years ago, I focused on writing only stand-alone novels, where you only saw the same characters through a single book and then moved on to a new set of characters and world with the next book. I thought a series only appeared in fantasy novel with dragons and warlocks. And then I discovered the wonderful world of the paranormal with Anne Rice. She introduced me to a world where the same characters appear over several books in a contemporary setting. This was genius! You could see the evolution of a character over several books, put them through one trial after another, pitting them against dark moral dilemmas.

I never expected to fall in love.

Now, I had always cared about my characters when I was writing, but things changed when I started working with Mira and friends. Even when I was away from the computer, I could feel them following me through my day. I could hear Mira's sarcasm in my head, see Danaus's knowing smirk, and feel the heat of Rowe's narrowed gaze. I spent close to seven years working on the books in the Dark Days series so they were almost constantly in my thoughts. I cheered at their triumphs and I cried when some dear died.

Am I insane?

Oh, I freely admit that I am quite mad at this point. Mad as the Hatter and the March Hare. But then, that's just the way of things.

Yet, here at the end of all things, with the world burning down around us, I have to say that I would do it all over again, but I would add more heat.

Have you started the Dark Days series yet?
The Dark Days series follows an outcast vampire with a fiery temper to match her ability to manipulate fire as she is forced to team with a vampire hunter as they attempt to stop a dark race from attempting to destroy mankind. At every turn, Mira is faced with betrayal and danger, forcing her to trust the most unlikely of all companions. Danaus is a vampire hunter with a tragic secret that he has carried with him for nearly two thousand years. What drives him out every night to risk his life against the most dangerous of all predators?

The reading order of the Dark Days series is (click to read an excerpt):
Nightwalker
Dayhunter
Dawnbreaker
Pray for Dawn
Wait for Dusk
Burn the Night

Also, there is a prequel story in the Unbound anthology. In addition, another prequel novella is set to be released this fall in e-book form, featuring a closer look at Mira's relationship with her old lover, Valerio.

Here's a quick contest! Tell me who your favorite vampire is in the comments to enter to win a signed copy of Burn the Night! I'll announce a winner Friday night. (Contest open to US and international readers) And come back on Saturday. A little birdie told me there's going to be another awesome contest.

28 comments:

kyattorney2007 said...

Oh now Jocelynn, I have to pick a fave vamp? Agh the choices, as there are SO many!! Hmm, I may have to go with Bones from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. I have a thing for blonde, British vamps ;).

Na said...

I adore Zsadist from Lover Awakened (BDB) by J.R. Ward and follwed by Bones from the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost.
Cambonified[at]yahoo[dot]com

denise said...

I would have to go with Jean-Claude in Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Soooo much sex. Danaus is my fav non vamp though.

Haven said...

From Dark Days I say Valerio, not just because he's hot or mysterious. I think he's the epitome of old world vamp and instills that in his children along with history of all races. I like that he has great abilities and age, but isn't in your face about it.

KD Smith said...

I will have to say Quinn O'Conner from The Riley Jenson Series. What a hot piece of Vamp Ass!

RFTC Blog said...

My favorite vampire is Zsadist from the BDB series. I LOVE him and I think he's so fierce.

iqb99@yahoo.com

Carol said...

If I have to pick a fave vamp...hmm.. I'll go with Bones from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series for sure *sight* that's a HOT vamp ;)

Thanks for the chance =)
jessy.wicked[at]gmail[dot]com

Cherry said...

I like master vampire Mircea in the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance :)

Cherry Mischievous
cherrymischif-soldier [at] yahoo [dot] com

Stephanie M said...

Bones from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series.

smccar1 at hotmail dot com

Helen Lowe said...

Call me old-fashioned, but I still vote "Spike, especially as he was in series 2 of Buffy---bold, bad and unreconstructed. ;-)

Jan and Al Schwartz said...

I like many vamps.
Eric from Sookie Stackhouse Series
Angel and Spike (Joss Whedon)
lestat de Lioncourt (Anne Rice)
Valerio
Danus could win top of the line vamp hunter...hmmm like to see he and Buffy share a stake.

heatwave16 said...

So many to pick from:

Ivy - from Kim Harrison's Hollows
Jean Claude - from LKH's Anita Blake

Selene - Underworld movies

Spike & Drucila - Buffy

heatwave96(at)hotmail.com

Sara M said...

My favorite vamp is Stefan from Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series. I love him and his Mystery Machine. :)

elaing8 said...

Weel,besides Mira,who I love..I also love Bones from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series.
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Amy said...

Thanks for the post and giveaway!

My favorite vampire would be Rhage from J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series.
From TV, I also really loved Spike and Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

mrsj said...

Valerio..

Mysterious, sneaky, charming and he will always have a piece of my heart.

Barbara E. said...

My favorite vampire is Eric Northman from Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. A close second would be Jeaniene Frost's Bones. They're both really hot, dangerously sexy vampires.

Casey H said...

I can only pick one favorite?! Hmm...then I'll have to go with Bones from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. He's so smexy ;)

Hannah said...

My favorite vampire has to be: Ivy Tamwood, from The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. LOVE her! Of course, Mira's awesome, too ;)

Cate said...

I love BONES! From the Night Huntress Series by jeaniene frost. H e is sooo hot! Please enter me in the contest. Thanks. Kayko118@yahoo.com

Mel Teshco said...

I'm going to go with JR Ward's Rhage =)

CYP @ A Bookalicious Story said...

oh no oh no is it too late? whats the time now in US?? ok im gonna make this real quick..

This is one of the few vamp novels i read(cause i try to avoid those cringe-worthy ones) so im gonna pick Mira. My friend and i are big on women rights and so with Mira being one of the most independent, powerful, strong-headed female heroine i've read, she's won my respect hands down. haha her power is cool(tho a little ironic) but cool all the same:)

Unknown said...

dracula 2000 wit h gerarld butler .

Anonymous said...

Pick only one..pufff there is a large list of hot vamp that I like ;))
Mira and Valerio of course
Damon of vampire diaries
Eric from tue blood
Dimitri from vampire academy
All guys from jr ward
lestat from anne rice
Simon from cassandra clare
hot, hot vampires :))

Spav said...

My favourite vampire is Bones from the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That's a really difficult one..

I would say John Mathew from JR Ward series. And if Dimitri wasn't a dhampir he would be my favourite too =)

Jolene and Family said...

I love love love this series and I've been with it from the begining. It's kept me up many nights turning the pages. I love Eric Northan and Wraith from Larissa Ione's Demonica series and can't forget Dante from Adrian Phoenix's Maker Song series. Give me a tortured soul and bad boy and I'm hooked

Jocelynn Drake said...

Sooo many vampires to love! Thanks everyone for entering and commenting!