Monday, July 18, 2011

These Blazing Days of Summer.

At least, here in Michigan, it's blazing! And what better thing to do in the heat than to read a good book by the water...or in the water.

It's a little harder to read in the water with an e-reader, but I put mine in a Ziploc bag and voila! I can read anywhere, even on the boat.

When I read in the summertime, I go through phases. I start by reading good summertime romances--ones with hot nights and scenes by the campfire or under the moon and stars. Then I get so disgruntled by the heat that I move on to wintry stories--Christmas ones in particular. I figure maybe it'll cool me off if I'm reading about blizzards, etc.

Then at that point, I move on to my comfort reads because I realize that summer's nearly over and I haven't read as many books/relaxed as much as I'd wanted to, and I'd better get working on the relaxing part.

Sometimes I go back and read my old standbys from when I was a child--the Little House on the Prairie books, The Three Investigators, even an old YA romance by Phyllis A. Whitney called Step to the Music. Maybe it's the element of summer that makes me want to revisit old childhood reads.

What about you? Do you have a rhythm or a rhyme or reason for your summer reading? Do you find you actually get any summer reading done, or is it filled with schlepping kids, outdoor activities, and vacations?

6 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I'm always scared to put the ereader in plastic, so I stick to the HUGE stack of ppbacks I have when I read outside. (The better light makes it easier, anyway.) I've reread a couple of Little House books too, oddly enough, and some other middle grade books that I bought for my classroom library. Currently, I'm reading The Iron Duke which makes me want to curl up and never write again, it's so good.

Sable Grace said...

I have to say, my reading tends to sway toward womens fic during the summer. Friend stories.. small towns. When it cools off, I go back to my hot and smexy titles. Wierd though. Never really thought about it till now!

Leigh said...

I'm a winter reader. Summer tends to be full of writing for me, which sort of sucks. Winter is a much better season to be writing in, I seriously should take a look at my schedule!

Unknown said...

Summer is my reread time...got the ereader in plastic..got my pool chair..and a margarita..and rereading Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Baker Series...next...umm...I have a few new authors to sample:)..

AA Bell said...

Great Post Joss! It's been minus 4 degrees C here in Oz this week, so while my Wii keeps reminding me to lose weight for my swimmers, I've been rugged up to the ears with woollens... but summers last few years have reached into the mid fifties for up to a week at a time, so I really know where you're coming from! Laptops poolside in plastic bags have helped me beat more than one deadline! Wish I'd had my kindle then too, and I wouldn't have fallen behind so far in my reading!

Sharon Stogner said...

OMG, I never thought of using a ziploc bag. Thanks for the tip.

I don't pick my reads based on seasons or weather. I pretty much want smexy all the time! I think I plan my life around my release calender