In honor of the night, I thought it would be fun to 'guess that book quote'. Here are some one liners from books that all share a certain bend toward the Theobroma cacao shrub. How many do you recognize? (I threw a film in there too. Couldn't resist!)
1) “Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”
2) “Strength is the capacity to break a Hershey bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.”
3) “Can I come back and see you sometime?"
"Long as you bring me some chocolate," Gramma said, and smiled. "I'm partial to chocolate."
"Gramma, you're diabetic."
"I'm old, girl. Gonna die of something. Might as well be chocolate.”
4) “Happiness. Simple as a glass of chocolate or tortuous as the heart. Bitter. Sweet. Alive.”
5) “Chocolate says "I'm sorry" so much better than words.”
6) “A Kiss is a terrible name for a piece of chocolate shaped like a water droplet, because kisses are hot and would melt chocolate—even if it is wearing an astronaut suit made out of tinfoil. ”
7) “Like magic, she felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like
8) ...Seashells. Chocolate seashells, so small, so plain, so *innocent*. I thought, oh, just one little taste, it can't do any harm. But it turned out they were filled with rich, sinful...
9) “Don't wreck a sublime chocolate experience by feeling guilty. Chocolate isn't like premarital sex. It will not make you pregnant. And it always feels good.”
10) “ . . .(she) opened the box of chocolates. The dog looked at them longingly.
"Would you like one?" she asked the little dog.
"Yes, please," whispered the dog. "Only not toffee ones. They make me drool."
"I thought chocolates weren't very good for dogs," she said, remembering something Miss Forcible had once told her.
"Maybe where you come from," whispered the little dog. "Here, it's all we eat.”
Recognize any? Have one of your own? Pop them in the comments please!
And, if you need a permission slip to indulge, remember, dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, anti-aging properties and hormone regulators. It keeps your heart and cardiovascular system running smoothly, lowers blood pressure, lowers orchestral, and slows down the clotting cascade (prevents stroke). It also stimulates endorphins and increases seritonin, the happy brain messengers. Seriously, what's not to love? Enjoy, everyone!
Kim Falconer is a Supernatural Underground author writing paranormal romance, urban fantasy, YA and epic science fantasy novels.
You can find out more about Kim at kimfalconer.com or on the 11th House Blog. She posts here at the Supernatural Underground on the 16th of every month. Her latest release is"Blood and Water" in Supernatural Underground: Vampires Gone Wild.