Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Yeah, I know that it's a cheesy title, but some times the oldies are the oldies because they really are the goodies.

Are you ready for it?

I'm plotting. I KNOW! I've had this new series jammed in my head for ages now and my pantser lifestyle just wasn't cutting it. Too many ideas, too much world-building that needed to happen.

So I'm plotting it out. Taking a tip from my friend Karina Cooper and using post-its to figure out what needs to go where. Currently there are three colors: the good gal, the romantic lead, and the bad guy.

Those of you who have read this blog for a while know that when I wrote Diaries, I was a hard-core pantser. Me and Violet just went on a little adventure together and eventually a book was born.

But this one. Demons and Guardians and Innocents, oh my. The more I plot, the more it changes, layers are added, characters become more refined and devious. And maybe just a little sexier.

But it seems to be going so slow. I think that was the nice thing about pantsing, there were words on the page immediately. Who knew that I was into such instant gratification?

So my new tools of the trade:

My huge easel that houses all my notes.












My Sharpies. There really is no beating the smell and writing quality of a good marker. I have to admit that I was overly giddy as I walked into Office Depot to get these babies.










And I knew I had to figure out a way to conquer that need for instant gratification, so every time a post-it goes down, I get a Junior Mint. Great for the creative process, not so much for the waistline.





So here's going to my new way of writing. I really hope that it works because I'm really excited about this new project and I really want to share it with my Supernatural Underground family.

*********************************

Amanda Arista
www.amandaarista.com


2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi Ananda,

I'm a pantser too. I saw Karina's post on this awhile ago and it just baffled me. I was toying with the idea of trying it with the story I'm currently writing. I even bought the sticky notes. But it seems whenever I get a new plot twist or idea I layer it in my manuscript instead.
So I have decided the next story I write, the sticky notes will come out before I open the document.
Let us know how it's going. I really am interested in becoming a plotter and want to be reformed :-)

Helen Lowe said...

Good luck with the new project, Amanda. :)