Tuesday, November 10, 2020

The Sound of Magic


I've often been enchanted by the supernatural magic found in movies, how story combines with images and sound. 

Of course, I love books too. I guess because when I'm reading, my mind creates the setting, it fills in the shadowy figures of the characters, and it hears the intonation of the voices. I just never expected audio books to sound so much like a stage play. 

It's almost as if the play is actually taking place, except the stage curtain is drawn. Your mind still fills in all the blank spaces. Except now, it feels like you're inside the story. Really. Inside

I actually got scared when I listened to my narrator reading Shade, Dusk, and Dawn. And they're my stories!

 

Shade: Book 1: The Re-Imagining of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein will go up for preorder in two days. Then it will release on December 1. Right now, Dusk is fast behind it, releasing on December 10, if all goes well. We are still fine-tuning the final book in the series, Dawn, but hope we can have it out in time for Christmas.


What audio books have you listened to that you absolutely loved? Darkness Brutal by Rachel A. Mark is amazing! I loved it!


I loved Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Also, Dracula narrated by Tim Curry and Alan Cummings, Jane Eyre narrated by Thandie Newton, and The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins. 


I especially enjoy thrillers and mysteries, so those are what I often listen to.

But what about you? What characteristics are you looking for when you choose an Audible book? Are you heading off on a long car ride and want something to keep you focused? Or are you exercising and need to keep your brain active while your muscles work?


Don't forget to read some of my recent posts here:

AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR AND ARTIST, Merrie Destefano studied art at Northern Illinois University, met her husband at a kazoo parade, laughs at all jokes, and ugly cries during corny movies. Her books have been published by HarperCollins, Entangled Teen, Walter Foster, and Ruby Slippers Press, and, most likely, she's writing her next book while you're reading this. Born in the Midwest, she now lives in Southern California, where she runs on caffeine, and shares her home with rescue dogs and cats.

Her writing awards include:
• 2010 Mount Hermon Writer of the Year
• 2019 Realm Award for Supernatural/Horror: Shade: A Re-Imagining of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
• 2019 Moonbeam Children’s Book Award, Silver Medal Winner: Shade: A Re-Imagining of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
• 2019 YARWA Athena Award, Second Place: YA/NA Speculative Fiction for Valiant.

You can visit her website here.

No comments: