Sunday, January 8, 2012

8 for 8 - The Night Huntress Series


While loitering on Twitter last week I came across a conversation between a few of my Twitter buddies. They were cyber drooling over a series they’d all recently read.  Like any other book hungry reader, the sight of cyber drool over a story made me jump right in and hijack on the conversation.  I just had to know what books had caused such bodice busting heavy breathing.  And to my utter delight, I discovered the books in question where none other than the Night Huntress series by our very own Jeaniene Frost.  I hadn’t read any of the Night Huntress novels, so I hot footed it right over to Amazon and bought myself the first book in the series, Halfway to the Grave.  Two days and one happy dance later, I was snuggled up in my bed turning the pages of a lusciously good paranormal romance. 
So for my 8 for 8 this month, I’m going to give you eight things about this book that I loved.

1. The cover. Green is an underused color in books and it stands out so well against the black and gray. Cat looks amazing.
2. Cat. She’s a fab MC. She’s had a lot to deal with in her life, but doesn’t have a case of the poor me’s, even with a mother who despite being loving, is a walking example of how not to rear your child.
3. Bones. Oh dear lord, pass the smelling salts, I’m feeling faint. He’s a kick butt, heavy handed, completely ruthless stud muffin who just so happens to have the sweetest of human natures hidden away behind his gorgeous inhuman body. NOM NOM.
4. The World. Jeaniene Frost gives us a world within a world.  She’s built a paranormal existence and superimposed it onto our reality. Like in the worlds of True Blood, Angel, and Vampire Academy, these creatures move among us in a hauntingly believable fashion.
5. Style. The writing is simply constructed and reads so easily. It flows perfectly, urging the reader to read another page...ah go on another, another.
6. Passion.  I’ve been reading YA books almost exclusively for the last year. This is the first paranormal romance for adults I’ve read and oh my goodness, what a relief it is to see some action. And by action, I mean steaming up the glasses, heart pounding stuff. Bones and Cat are electric. There sexual attraction sizzles on the page.
7. Cat’s grumpy, unforgiving, and highly judgement grandparents.  They only have a small part, but they made me laugh. Imagine having to face them every time you came home from a night of slaying and rampant love making!
8. There’s more. Yay! Nine books in all. I’ll be ravaging these books over the next couple of months. 

Have you read this series yet? Did it make you go all a dither too?

I hope 2012 is being good to you! Talk to you all next month.

Leigh

8 comments:

Terri Garey said...

I have, and I did indeed go all a-dither!

I completely agree with you about this cover, by the way, one of the best Avon has ever done, imho!

Glad to hear you've been bitten by the Bones bug, Leigh! You're in for a great ride! :)

Michelle @ Much Loved Books said...

I love these books and have read all the Night Huntress series and the first book in her Night Huntress World, First Drop of Crimson (which you should also read)

Sharon Stogner said...

this is one of the series I always recommend people who want to try a vampire book . Once they get a taste of Bones they are hook on the genre

Library Gal @Lost in the Library said...

I <3 this series soo much. I re-read them any time I need an ultimate escape. Just wait until the next ones, they don't have t-shirts with "Chapter 32" on them for nothing:)

Terri Garey said...

Chapter 32!!!! :)

Brenda Hyde said...

Oh, you have SO much to look forward to-- I LOVE Cat and Bones. After reading all the books 2-3 times each--the first one three times-one of my favorite scenes is when they dance for the first time. Sure, she's doped up a little bit, but it's so hot the book almost bursts into flame.

Chapter 32 is full of awesomesauce to the 100th degree but I'll always love the dance scene just a bit more:)

Bonnie said...

This is one of my favorite series and always highly recommend it to my friends. Cat is really funny because she doesn't take any crap and Bones knows just how to manipulate her. Cat's mom is also very funny along with how Bones pushes her buttons.
I used to think Barrons was the ultimate but lately I think Bones has him beat.

Unknown said...

I'm with everyone ..one of my fav series..and chapter 32..OMG....just wait!