Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Hyper Poodle Incident (aka Keep the Stories Coming)

Hello there,
First let me apologize for missing last month. I was sort of preoccupied with this little angel:

So life has been a little crazy with a new baby and the holiday season on its way. But Helen Lowe got me to thinking what my favorite Christmas traditions are and I've come up with a few that I can't wait to pass along to the little bean. And as with everything else with my life, there are stories that go along with all of them, and I can't wait to tell her.

Number 1: Watching Love Actually. Its just enough of the Christmas spirit, but ultimately, its about all the different kinds of love in the world and I want her to know that. It will probably be a few years before she knows what is going on, but she will be able to sing "Let it Snow" just like Bill Nighy.

Number 2: New PJs on Christmas Eve. We actually didn't do this growing up, but I have always known that I wanted to do this with my kid. Part of it is that every kid needs to have a footed pair of pajamas for cold winter nights with a reindeer tail, but mostly, you have to look stylish for Santa.

Number 3: Box of Queen Anne Cherry Cordials. My dad loved these holiday candies and I remember wrapping them up one year and putting it under the tree. The next morning, we found our poodle very hyper in the middle of the living room covered in cherry goo. The next year, the box of cherries had petrified. Each year something strange happened to these cherries, so I still buy a box every year because I know that something will happen to them.

Number 4: This should probably go first, but decorating the Christmas tree as a family. We are big on ornaments in our family, and each person has enough to fill their own tree. Every year the weekend after Thanksgiving, we would spend hours taking each ornament out of the box and remembering who gave it to us and why. Little Bean already has her first ornament waiting to go on the tree.

Number 5: Driving around to look at Christmas lights. We used to drive around as a family and Mom would make hot cocoa to take with us. Last year there was Starbucks and bicycles, which could be a little more difficult with a little one, but it is something that I always look forward to.

My new writing partner. 
So I know there isn't a lot in this post about Paranormal or Writing (both of which are still brewing in my head at all hours of the morning), but as I reflect on holiday traditions, each has special meaning because they each have a web of stories behind them (except that PJ one: i just really like PJs).

So, in the spirit of the giving season, if you share a holiday something that you like to do and a story
to go with it, I'll give you a Diaries gift set.


Happy Holiday and type at you next year!!!

-------------------------

Amanda Arista
Author, Diaries of an Urban Panther Series
www.amandaarista.com




10 comments:

SandyG265 said...

My boyfriend and I like to drive around and look at people's Christmas decorations.

Carrie @ Paper Bindings said...

My family doesn't really have very many traditions that we still do every single year now that the we are all older and have jobs that steal most of our free time.

But there is one thing we do every single Christmas Eve, and I think if we missed it one year, there might be a mutiny in our ranks. It's a little silly but we do it as a family. We get Outback take out and bring it home. There is no tv or music, just us sitting together as a family talking and laughing. Someone always ends up getting teased or poked fun at.

With our lives as hectic as they are, it's the one night of the year I know we will all get together and have a family meal And that, makes it priceless to me.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I used to love to walk my dog at night and look at the lights, but people burning those darn purfumed logs kill me (I mean what?). Still like driving and looking. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KerrelynSparks said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby, Amanda! Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

Midnyte Reader said...

What a precious little baby. The perfect Christmas gift.

Helen Lowe said...

Your baby is gorgeous, Amanda: congratulations!

Kim Falconer said...

What an angel. Big congratulations, Amanda!

Jacqui said...

Putting on christmas carols, as we decorate our tree is our tradition. And on christmas eve, reading the night before christmas is a must.

Amanda Arista said...

Thanks for all the holiday traditions and LIttle Bean says Happy Holidays!