Thursday, August 22, 2024

From the Backlist - Taking a Break from it All

Art byYao Yao Ma Van As - Tax Season

Here at the Supernatural Underground, we are enjoying another insightful read from our back-list, posted  by Nicole Murphy. It's called, Taking a Break from it All

In this post, Nicole offers tips and tricks from her own well of resources, with other Sup authors adding their thoughts to the comments. 

* * * 

There's been lots of ideas coming from the Supernatural hivemind on things we do to get creative. Kim makes space - I've gotten into that a bit more as well, ensuring that nothing else is going on except me and the words. Terri reads (I can read when I'm editing, or between books, but when I'm drafting - no can do). Pamela and Jocelynn both listen to music (I need complete silence). Amanda uses images - the real estate website is a great idea and I know other people who are made for images but that doesn't work for me. Helen's three pages in the morning sound wonderful.

For me, however, the thing that really works is taking a break.

It probably sounds counter-intuitive - that taking time off the computer helps me when I'm on it. But the thing is, I find I dry up if I spend too long at it. I can pound out some great wordage, sure, but then my brain gets overloaded. Push it too far, and it will come to a standstill.

But taking a break doesn't mean a break from the story. Far from it - it's a break from that act of sitting and fingers moving on keyboard, but I'm still working, things ticking away in the background....

Read the entire post here ...

* * *

You can check out Nicole Murphy's complete works on Goodreads. Wonderful books!


 

No comments: